Wiring Caused Fire at Manhattan Courthouse

Fire gave Lil Wayne weekend reprieve from jail cell

Wednesday, Mar 3, 2010  |  Updated 12:30 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Wiring Caused Fire at Manhattan Courthouse

NBCNewYork.com

Wiring apparently caused the fire at 100 Centre St.

Electrical wiring for construction lights caused the smoky basement fire that shut down Manhattan's main criminal courthouse, fire marshals say.

The courthouse at 100 Centre St. was still closed Wednesday, the day after the fire. Many proceedings were being fit into courtrooms at a neighboring building.
       
On Tuesday, the fire postponed Lil Wayne's sentencing in a gun case, giving the rap star yet another reprieve from jail.
       
The Fire Department said it has declared the blaze accidental.
       
More than 1,000 people were forced to leave the building. Eight people suffered minor injuries.
 

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
21st Century Solutions
The NBCUniversal Foundation is partnering... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out