"Canceled" Soaps to Be Revived Online

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Susan Lucci chats about the long-running "All My Children" being canceled. What has the mood on set been like since the announcement? (Published Tuesday, Mar 4, 2014)

    As the complexion of daytime television changed, the fate of the soap opera seemed to be sealed. When ABC actually canceled TV staples "All My Children" and "One Life to Live," fans were left in shock.

    Well, now ABC has announced that the shows will go on. Online.

    In an official statement from the network, ABC confirms that they have reached an agreement with media company Prospect Park that will allow the shows to continue beyond their TV air date in a "multi-year, multi-platform" deal.

    “We are privileged to continue the legacy of two of the greatest programs to air on daytime television, and are committed to delivering the storylines, characters and quality that audiences have come to love for over 40 years," said Rich Frank and Jeff Kwatinetx of Prospect Park in an official statement. ‘All My Children’ and ‘One Life to Live’ are television icons, and we are looking forward to providing anytime, anywhere viewing to their loyal community of millions. Technology changes the way the public can and will view television shows. Now that there are so many devices available in addition to television sets, viewers are taking advantage of watching shows wherever they are and on any number of devices."

    Susan Lucci, Gilles Marini Talk Daytime Emmy Awards

    [NBCAH] Susan Lucci, Gilles Marini Talk Daytime Emmy Awards
    Susan Lucci and Cameron Mathison chat at the 2009 Daytime Emmy Awards about "All My Children" moving to LA. Gilles Marini talks about his dance with Vanessa Williams. (Published Tuesday, Mar 4, 2014)

    In addition to a number of online and music-related ventures, Prospect Park recently produced the FX series "Wilfred" and the USA Network series "Royal Pains."

    So far, neither Prospect Park nor ABC have said whether or not the casts of either show - either whole or in part - will be a part of the new ventures - although the mention of "storylines, characters, and quality" in the statement would seem to hint at some continuity being kept.

    Selected Reading: Daytime Confidential, New York Times, ABC News