"Hunger Games" Director Passes On Sequel

Gary Ross, who helmed the box-office smash, has reportedly turned down the chance to direct "Catching Fire"

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012  |  Updated 1:24 AM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
"Hunger Games" Director Passes On Sequel

AP

Director/co-Screenwriter Gary Ross arrives at the world premiere of "The Hunger Games."

advertisement

Gary Ross says he won't direct "Catching Fire," the second installment in Lionsgate's blockbuster "The Hunger Games" franchise.

In a statement Tuesday, Ross says "after difficult but sincere consideration," he decided not to direct the film. He blames limited time to write and prep the film because of the fixed, tight production schedule.

Ross says making "The Hunger Games" was the happiest experience of his professional life. He also denies reports that negotiations with Lionsgate had been problematic.

Lionsgate officials say in response that they're "very sorry" Ross has chosen not to direct "Catching Fire" but they look forward to working with him on future projects.

"Catching Fire" is the second installment in the franchise based on Suzanne Collins' book series. It's scheduled for release in November 2013.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Follow us on Instagram!
We post photos taken by our news... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out