John Boyega Teases 'Much Darker' 'Star Wars: Episode VIII,' Says He'll Be Hitting the Gym More | NBC New York

John Boyega Teases 'Much Darker' 'Star Wars: Episode VIII,' Says He'll Be Hitting the Gym More



    ChinaFotoPress via Getty Images
    Actress Daisy Ridley and actor John Boyega attend "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" premiere at Shanghai Grand Theatre on December 27, 2015 in Shanghai, China.

    Fans who gobbled up "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" will be happy to know that "Star Wars: Episode VIII" is already in production and star John Boyega is starting to tease it.

    While filming "Star Wars: The Force Awakens," Boyega and his co-stars were forced to conceal secrets, even going so far as to lie about their whereabouts, so when the movie was finally released he could breathe a sigh of relief.


    "Yes, at last! Han Solo dies, OK? He dies. Phew. It feels good," he tells Vogue UK. "But now, we just starting work on 'Star Wars VIII,' the next film, so I'm back to keeping secrets again."

    Unfortunately, he wouldn't give away too much information about the highly anticipated follow-up, but he did give readers this nugget. "It's great," he said of the script. "Much darker, but we're very excited."

    What could be darker than Kylo Ren killing his own father, Han Solo? We'll just have to wait and see, but Boyega did also say that there might be more action for his character Finn in the next movie. As a result, he'll be working out more than he did for "The Force Awakens."

    "No, for ['The Force Awakens'] we really just took it scene by scene, there wasn't a huge regime," he said of getting lightsaber-ready. "My part in the next film will be much more physical so I might be in the gym a bit more."

    Although didn't give away too much information, E! News has rounded up everything we know so far about the next film. For starters, J.J. Abrams will not co-write or direct the next movie, unlike "The Force Awakens." Instead he's passing the torch to Rian Johnson, who helmed "Looper."

    The script is complete and filming has already begun, but rewrites and reshoots are probably inevitable. Abrams invited Johnson along to watch filming of "The Force Awakens" to make the transition between directors more seamless. Abrams told Wired that Johnson "has asked for a couple of things here and there that he needs for his story. He is an incredibly accomplished filmmaker and an incredibly strong writer. So the story he told took what we were doing and went in the direction that he felt was best but that is very much in line with what we were thinking as well."

    Boyega, Daisy Ridley and Oscar Issac are all slated to return, and Benicio Del Toro also has confirmed his casting. Gwendoline Christie's character, Captain Phasma, will also have a bigger role.

    PHOTOS: "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" magazine covers

    PHOTOS: Famous "Star Wars" fans

    WATCH: John Boyega pays homage to Luke Skywalker